|Here is the source of inspiration this time. My Bourgeois Vintage D bridge. |
I took a photo and scaled it to exact measurements on computer screen,
then printed it out and glued it down to a cardboard backing.
|...and here is the ebony blank to start the work with. |
Madinter sells these (plus the fingerboard blanks) at a very reasonable price.
I start by belt sanding all the facets smooth.
|Looks almost real... |
With this template I trace the outline of the bridge on the sanded blank
|I do a rough cut using band saw. |
Then go down to the line with the belt and disc sanders.
The pencil lines help me figure out how the work is proceeding.
|The shape about roughed out.|
|radius of the top of the bridge is about 20 inches|
|Trying on the starting-to-shine blank on |
the starting-to-shine top. I use these to bring ebony to it's shine.
My last secret weapon is an ordinary A4 sheet of printing paper.
Or a tearout of a newspaper. It brings the shine to its final level.
Oops. Not secret anymore...
|Time to route the saddle slot. This handy little jig with cams |
keeps the bridge still while cutting
|And this handy little jig makes a safe and controlled ride for the router|
|A clean cut at exactly 3mm.|
|Trying in the saddle. Might need a tad taller one. But the fit is snug!|
|making pilot holes/starters for the bridge pin holes. Strongly recommended!|
|4mm wood bit is usually the right one. Remember to use a wooden backing |
piece to prevent tearing at the bottom.
|Here you should be able to count to six...|
|Making the countersunk holes for the pin heads. |
The drill press really helps here to make the holes nice and even.
|With this "poor man's tailpiece" I was able to get the first |
sounds out of the guitar this evening.
The setup is still off in every respect,
but it does play like a guitar! And looks good too.
Well, not the tailpiece...